New Zelda announced for the Wii U and its incredibly androgynous hero might actually be a female Link. I’m assuming she’s a girl until proven otherwise because I am an optimist.
If there’s still no female protag, Nintendo, listen. You have my email.
Update to this. My new theory is that it is actually Zelda herself, or possibly another non-Link character. Here’s why:
- In an interview today, producer Eji Anouma said “No one explicitly said that that was Link,” and a few months ago hinted that they would be shaking up the Zelda/Link dynamic, teasing that Zelda doesn’t need to be a princess.
- The horse in the trailer is not Epona, who in every game is portrayed as red with a white mane.
- The character is right-handed, not left-handed, as all incarnations of Link are (aside from the Wii-controller games).
- While wearing a tunic similar to Link’s from Wind Waker, the character is also wearing Gerudo-styled gauntlets.
- Despite what some are saying, the character’s shirt is not Link’s pajama shirt from Wind Waker. While the colors are similar, it’s an entirely different design (Link’s had a lobster).
Any one of these pieces of evidence are weak on their own, but collectively I think we can pretty confidently say that the hero of the next Zelda game isn’t Link, and may very well be Zelda.
Welp. I’m officially freaking out, now. This would be so awesome.